A PDO thread lift, also called a non-surgical facelift, is a procedure that lifts and tightens the skin by using temporary sutures. It is an excellent alternative for men and women who do not want cosmetic surgery (or are not candidates for cosmetic surgery).
Thread Lifts involve the use of medical-grade threads made from polydioxanone (PDO), an absorbable polymer that is flexible and durable. These threads are strategically inserted beneath the skin to lift and reposition sagging facial tissues. The threads have tiny barbs (or cones) that provide a supportive structure, helping to lift and tighten the skin for a more youthful and refreshed appearance.
During the procedure, the threads are carefully guided through the skin, and once in place, they are adjusted to achieve the desired lifting effect. The threads also stimulate collagen production, promoting long-term skin rejuvenation and further enhancing the results over time.
Before the treatment begins, a local anaesthetic will be administered to ensure your comfort during the procedure. The actual procedure time can vary depending on the areas being treated but generally takes around 30 to 60 minutes.
During the procedure, your medical practitioner will assess your facial contours and discuss your desired outcome with you. They will then make small incisions in specific areas to insert the threads. The threads will be placed carefully to lift and tighten the targeted areas, such as the cheeks, jawline, or neck. Once the desired lift is achieved, the excess thread is trimmed, and the threads are enclosed beneath the skin. Following the procedure the doctor will clean your skin and place a small piece of protective surgical tape over the skin where incisions were made.
After the procedure you may experience some mild swelling, bruising, tightness and tenderness, which typically subsides within a few days. To enhance your recovery and minimise side effects please follow these instructions:
- Keep the surgical tape on your skin for a minimum of 2 days following the procedure.
- For the first 24 hours after the procedure, avoid touching, rubbing or applying pressure to the treated areas.
- You may apply cold compresses to the treated areas for 10-15 minutes at a time, as needed. Use a clean cloth or ice pack wrapped in a cloth to prevent direct contact with the skin. Avoid applying ice directly to the skin.
- For pain relief you may take paracetamol.
- Sleep on your back with your head slightly elevated during the first week after the procedure.
- Avoid strenuous activities and excessive facial movements (e.g. wide smiles, big yawns, chewing gum) for 1-2 weeks.
- Avoid dental procedures, facial massages and all other facial aesthetic treatments for 3 weeks.
- Avoid harsh skin care products and make-up for 48 hours.
- Avoid cosmetic treatments (e.g. facials, peels, laser treatments) for 2 weeks.
- Avoid sun exposure and heat for 2 weeks.
- You may have puckered skin after the procedure which can take around 7-10 days to settle. For this reason it is recommended to find some “social downtime” for the first week following treatment. However, you can resume most normal activities within 2-4 days.
Thread Lift results are seen immediately, however, as the healing progresses and the skin has a chance to settle, you will start to appreciate a more defined and youthful contour, reduced appearance of sagging skin and a more refreshed appearance. The results are natural-looking, enhancing your natural features without an overly “pulled” or artificial look.
The longevity of Thread Lift results varies depending on several factors, including the type of threads used, individual skin characteristics, and lifestyle factors. On average, the PDO threads may remain in place under your skin for 6 months. Over time, they will slowly dissolve, leaving your skin firmer and smoother than before. However, long-lasting collagen stimulation can last for even longer. As a result, you can expect results of your Thread Lift to last up to 12 months after treatment.
Get in touch with us today to start your journey.